Ever wondered why we can get away with eating anything in our youth yet constantly put on weight as we grow older, even when we eat moderately? It’s all about metabolism.
As we grow older the metabolic rate tends to slow down which leads to slower digestive and fat burning capabilities. Even if we overeat just a little bit our body will be unable to process the food in a timely manner and we end up with extra fat being stored in the body.
To avoid such situations one can opt for 10 best foods to speed up the metabolism and help the body stay healthy.
A look at the 10 best foods to speed up the metabolism:
- Fish: Fish like tuna and salmon are great sources of omega-3 fatty acids which not only keep one full for a long time but also speed up the metabolic rate. Tuna leads to the production of the hormone leptin which keeps the body satiated. Other than these sardines, herring and mackerel are also good for the metabolism.
- Whole grains: Whole grains like rolled oats, brown rice and quinoa are full of fibers which keep the body full for a long time and prevent cravings. They are full of complex carbohydrates and nutrients that take more energy to digest therefore lead the body to burn more calories and supply fuel, stabilize insulin levels and thus speed up the metabolic rate. Since they release carbs slowly they offer long-lasting energy.
- Green tea: Studies have proved that the green tea can significantly boost metabolism. The compound epigallocatechin in green tea stimulates the nervous as well as digestive system. It is full of powerful antioxidants which and eliminate the harmful free radicals and from the body and lead to an overall feeling of wellbeing.
- Chilli Peppers: The capsaicin in the chilli peppers can go a long way to rev the metabolism along with adding the special kick or taste to every dish. Studies conducted show that the metabolic rate can go up by as much as 25% after consuming peppers. While the best sources are hot spicy peppers like jalapeño, habañero and cayenne peppers, you will also benefits from their milder cousins – the bell peppers. They improve blood circulation and reduce sweet cravings.
- Fruits: Certain fruits like apples and pears can boost metabolism to a large degree and aid in massive weight loss. They are full of fibers which fill the body up, prevent hunger pangs and rev up the metabolic rate causing the body to burn stored body fat faster.
- Spices: Spices add flavor to our foods. But what is not commonly known is that they are also great to increase metabolic rates and help people burn calories faster. For best results include a regular dose of garlic, black pepper, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, metabolic rates and ginger in your diet.
- Citrus Fruits: Citrus fruits are high in vitamin C which is a powerful antioxidant and strengthens the immune system. This in turn leads to boosting metabolic activity and burning fat faster. Lemons, limes, orange and grapefruits are particularly good for health.
- Broccoli: Broccoli is power food which not only speeds up the metabolism but also improves the immune system. It is loaded with antioxidants like vitamin A, C and K, nutrients like calcium and folate and dietary fiber.
- Nuts: Nuts are full of proteins and fiber which provide the body with nutrients and energy. They help prevent insulin spikes and therefore lead to faster metabolic activity and prevention of fat storage in the body.
Water: Technically water is not a food but without adequate water intake none of the above foods can provide optimum results. It helps in digestion, in absorbing nutrients better and aids in proper metabolic activity